This sauce is my absolute BLW staple! It is full of goodness and perfect for adding to any dish, sauce for pasta, meat or fish, curries, pies, fab for spreading on pastry and pizza, or great as a warm dipping or side sauce. It’s not just for kids either, it’s delicious as a quick dinner or sauce for Mums and Dads too!
I make mine in a Thermomix (you can view the Thermie instructions here) but these are the instructions for making without a Thermie. You can use whichever veg you like, so you can mix it up below to use the veg that you like. I go for as much Organic veg as i can, it may seem expensive but i got a good 25 pouches of sauce from the veg i brought so you can make it without spending the earth, you don’t need to make it every week. I also try to include a range of different veg to get a nice mix of vitamins too!
Easy Baby Veg Sauce
Couple of packets of tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 or 2 red peppers, chopped into small pieces
1 Red onion
Handful of broccoli
Handful of mushrooms chopped
Couple of carrots chopped finely
1 tbsp Coconut Oil
Garlic (i use the frozen chopped garlic from Waitrose for quickness – not organic)
Herbs (use whichever you enjoy but i use the frozen Italian mix from Waitrose for fast fresh herbs without waste which includes Parsley, Oregano, Basil, Thyme)
Spinach (i use Waitrose Duchy Organic frozen spinach as i always have this to hand in my freezer but you can use fresh or frozen)
- Roughly chop the veg into chunks and add it all (except the spinach and passata) to a tray with a coconut oil.
- Roast in the oven for about 20-30 mins at around 200 degrees.
- Bring out of the oven and add to a blender
- Blend with some passata until smooth and to the consistency you would like.
- Add the spinach and stir until combined, you can blend again or leave with the larger pieces of spinach.
- Pour into your chosen storage pots or bags. I dispense mine into these handy Fill “n” Squeeze pouches baby weaning system – They are then super easy to defrost (just warm in a jug of water whilst the rest of the meal cooks) and are reusable!
- Put into a freezer bag and label and add to the freezer!